bumGenius products are manufactured by Cotton Babies, Inc.
Yes. Our diapers are covered by a number of utility and design patents in a number of countries. These patents protect various elements of how our diapers look and how they function. Additionally, the shape of our diaper is protected by tradedress. All of our brands and prints are original works of art that have been formally copyrighted. Information about our patents and other intellectual property is available through the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office. Other US and international patents are pending.
Probably! Cotton Babies products (including bumGenius) have received mentions and accolades in many recognizable publications including Time Magazine, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Consumer Reports and blogs like The Consumerist.
If you are using bumGenius One-Size exclusively, we recommend a minimum of 24 diapers. Remember, wash at least every other day and rotate your stash evenly.
- Adjust the diaper sizing by choosing the right snap setting on the front of the diaper.
- Your diaper arrives snapped down to the “small” setting, the bottom row of snaps.
- To use the “medium” setting, unsnap the diaper and resnap on the second row of snaps.
- To use the diaper on the “large” setting, fully unsnap the front of the diaper.
HELPFUL HINT: For overnight use, consider stuffing with two inserts and setting the diaper to be one size larger than you would for daytime use.
- Adjust the insert sizing by choosing the right snap setting on the insert.
- To use the insert as a “small”, snap the insert down to the bottom snap socket. Little boys tend to do well with the folded part towards the front of the diaper while little girls may do better with it towards the back.
- To use the insert as a “medium”, snap the insert down to the middle snap socket.
- To use the insert as a “large”, just leave it completely unsnapped.
- Put the insert in your diaper. Hold the insert in one hand and place inside the slot (located under the protective flap). Align the front edge of the insert with the top edge of the waist closure. Using one hand to hold the front of the insert in place, stretch the diaper and smooth the insert flat as you pull your other hand out of the diaper. Many parents prefer to pre-stuff their diapers at the end of their washing routine.
- Put the diaper on your baby. bumGenius Cloth Diapers go on just like a disposable diaper.
To observe fit, pick up your baby’s legs after putting the diaper on and observe how it fits around the legs and bottom. Is it snug? If you can see air between the diaper and their skin, then you need to refine the fit. Trying a smaller snap setting and fasten the tabs snugly. When you child stands up, notice how the insert or soaker is positioned relative to the back elastic. If the insert or soaker is higher than the back elastic, lay your child down, release the tabs, pull the diaper slightly towards the front and refasten the tabs. If you notice that the front of the diaper is positioned low over your baby’s thighs or that it is difficult to fasten the diaper around your baby’s waist, try using a larger snap setting. This will increase the rise of the diaper and improve overall fit. Remember, babies change shape frequently as they grow up. You may have times when your relatively young baby is using their one-size diapers on the largest setting. The same child may be on the medium setting several months later due to increased mobility.
bumGenius products are available in baby retail stores all over the world. You’re also always able to shop online through one of our many online retailers.
Check the retailer list to ensure that the person you buy from is an authorized retailer. Diapers purchased from unauthorized retailers are not eligible for warranty coverage. There are no authorized eBay sellers. The only authorized Amazon.com seller is Cotton Babies. Other purchases through eBay or Amazon.com do not qualify for warranty coverage.
Washing and detergent information can be downloaded here.
Diaper rashes should be treated according to your physician’s recommendations. If you need to use a rash cream, use a stay-dry liner between your baby’s bottom and the diaper to prevent the cream from transferring onto the diapers. Rash creams containing fish oils will make cloth diapers smell fish and should be avoided.
- Does the diaper need to be changed?
- Any diaper will leak once full. If your baby is having problems with leaks, check this first. The vast majority of the time we hear this question, additional absorbency or more frequent diaper changes solves leakage problems.
- Make sure that you washed everything at least once before using.
- If you have organic cotton or hemp diapers, they must be prewashed in hot water with a small amount of detergent 3-5 times before they become absorbent. They reach their full absorbency after 10 washes.
- Is the insert flat?
- Make sure that the insert is flat when you put the diaper on your baby. If it is twisted or wadded up, this can cause leakage. A Hemp Babies Diaper Doubler placed on top of your insert can prevent the wadding that can occur with some babies.
- Is the wetness at the top edge of the diaper?
- Make sure that the insert isn’t pushed up too far in the front of the diaper. The insert should be placed approximately one inch below the top edge of the diaper. The top edge of the diaper should be flat against your baby with the soft fabric against your baby’s belly.
- Is the wetness at the legs, label or the tabs?
- If the diaper is leaking from the tabs or the legs, change the diaper and remove the insert. If it is saturated then your baby needs a more absorbent insert or a more frequent diaper change. If the insert isn’t saturated, then the diaper may not be adjusted to fit your child properly.
- Is the diaper fitted properly?
- bumGenius diapers are made with a suedecloth inner fabric. To properly absorb, the inner fabric needs to be against your baby’s skin and pressure needs to be applied. If the diaper isn’t fitted properly and is hanging away from your baby’s bottom, liquid can pool and may run out of the diaper. If this is the case, try adjusting the diaper up one rise setting. If the diaper is too tight, it can also cause leakage. Make sure that the bottom edge of the diaper is at or just below your baby’s belly button and that the elastic is fitted to their legs, but not uncomfortably tight. If it looks like it would be uncomfortable for you to wear, adjust it. If you’re not sure that you’ve got it right, email a photo of your baby to customer service at email@example.com. We’ll be happy to help you troubleshoot fit.
First check for lint in your tabs. You can clean it out with a pin or a fine tooth comb. If it isn’t lint, the hooks may have relaxed. This happens over time when you exclusively line dry. Wash your diaper and then dry it in the dryer on warm heat. Be sure to let the diaper cool completely before using. This causes the hooks to recontract and become “sticky” again.